NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 4/26/2001 23:58 (Entered as : 04/26/01 23:58)
Reported: 4/27/2001 18:15
Posted: 3/11/2003
Location: Wildwood, IL
Shape: Sphere
Duration:10-15 Minutes
At night saw 2 objects in the distance which remained stationary for about 10-15 minutes then seperately moved away

I had just signed off using AOL and was going to the kitchen in my modest suburban home located in Wildwood, Illinois, an unincorporated community on the night of April 26, 2001. My "sub-division" is located between Gurnee to the East and Grayslake to the West. My house is one street or half a block off Route 45, 2 ½ blocks North of Route 120 and just South of Gages Lake. Looking out my back door window which gives me a panoramic view of the East edge of Grayslake including portions of the Lake County Fair Grounds which are both located just on the other side of Route 45. Actually the back of my lot borders Grayslake since the lots fronting Route 45 have been "taken" by Grayslake recently. That evening looking out the kitchen door window, checking as a security measure before retiring I looked up and over towards Grayslake and just above the power lines I notice two rather large glowing objects in a stationary position. I looked at my watch for a moment, unbelieving what I saw, it was about 2 minutes before midnight. I quickly looked again and they were still there in the exact position in which I first spotted them. I was awestruck and was waiting for movement, but it never occurred for about 5 minutes. Then suddenly, the one on my left, and a little lower then the other one suddenly started moving away towards the West until I lost sight of it. It moved out very fast but was not instantaneous and I was watching it as it departed. The other object stayed, and I wanted to get my binoculars which were in the dinning room just off the kitchen, but I hesitated figuring I would miss something. But after a couple more minutes, without movement, I took a chance and dashed into the dining room, found the binoculars and took them out of the case and got back to the window. This movement on my part took no more than 1-2 minutes. As I returned the object was still there, and as I raised the binoculars up it started moving westward, just as the other one had done earlier. Unfortunately by the time I got the binoculars focused, it was completely gone. The objects were observed as rather large lights, but they had a oblong symmetrical shape and while watching, I had the sensation that something zoomed past my window just above the roof of my house. It happened so fast, I'm still not sure it happened, since I was mainly focusing on the two lights off to the distance. I heard no noise, nor did I even think to go outside and try and get a better view. I have mentioned my sighting to some of my associates at work, and some of my family members, but I really can't confirm what they were, the only thing I know is that they were there, were stationary for several minutes and were not airplanes of which I have seen many times before. Within the last few years it has been common to see many aircraft routed around O'Hare flying nearby, but those are always moving and do not provide the large light these objects did. I feel they were UFO's and that means just what it is intended to stand for, "Un-Identified Flying Objects".