NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 8/24/2001 18:05 (Entered as : 08/24/01 18:05)
Reported: 8/26/2001 12:34
Posted: 3/21/2003
Location: Burnaby (Canada), BC
Shape: Oval
Duration:30 Minutues
On Friday evening, August 24th 2001, after shopping in Metrotown area of Burnaby British Columbia Canada, my husband and I were heading back in our car to our home of Surrey, B.C. when I looked up in the South West sky, I noticed a object that at first I thought was a blimp. The object was much higher in altitude than a blimp should be. The alititude that this object was at was at least the cruising altitude of a aeroplane. It was bigger in size than a aeroplane by a huge amount. The object was very stationary, and had a reddish rustic tinge of colour to it (there were no obvious trails of smoke, there was no movement from this object, it was just suspended there. I told my my husband look at that up there. Of course, he was driving the car so he had a few seconds here and there to gaze up and look at this object. He said "that's strange what is that"?. I continued to observe the object in the sky, and he continued to drive the car as we were heading back to our home in Surrey, B.C. We turned right onto a main road (called Willingdon Avenue) this road would lead us to the freeway back to our hometown. The journey down "Willingdon Avenue" would probably take us about 7 minutes to get us onto the freeway. I kept my eyes on this object in the sky, as we travelled down Willingdon Avenue. I could see the object the whole time, aside from the occasional tree, in the way. My husband glanced over many times to confirm for himself that it was still there. So, for about the next several minutes, I observed the object sit there in the sky and not move at all. As we now came in sight of the freeway sign to take us Eastbound back to Surrey, I looked behind me to get a fix on the object. It was still stationary for a few more moments. Then the object moved across the sky at an increadible speed towards the North West. I told my husband "oh my god" it's just moved over. He said "where, where"? I asked my husband to pull over and check this out. We were on the left side of the HOV Lane (2 or more person freeway lane) we slowed down and stopped the car. (Not a particularly safe place to stop) but we both wanted to check this object out. I told my husband "look up there" as I had been keeping very close tabs on where the object went. The object now appeared as a dark dot in the sky. The size of the object at this new location (North Western sky) was about the size at the end of a ballpoint pen. The colour of the object now was black and the shape of this object from this distance appeared to be a circle. The object was definately a lot further away than when originally spotted. My husband and I watched the black dot in the sky on the side the freeway. We were running out of time, as we had an engagement that evening downtown Vancouver,so we left from that location, and headed home. We could not believe what we had seen. My husband said he had never seen an object move with that speed and could not imagine any man made engineered object with propulsion capabilities such as would move a great object of that size at the speed we witnessed. About 1 1/2 hours after we got home to Surrey, my husband and I, had to get back onto the freeway to go to our engagement with family members in downtown Vancouver. I was again the passenger in the car, and we were now travelling West towards downtown Vancouver. I was observant of the skys, and I was talking to my husband about the object the entire journey into Vancouver. We were near the border of Burnaby and Vancouver (but still in Burnaby at this point), I noticed a black object, stationary in the sky again. I said to my husband "honey, If I told you I can see it again right now would you believe me"!??. He said "what"? I told him "pull over again and get a look at this". He then looked up into the sky, it must have been around 7:30 - 7:45 pm and he couldn't believe his eyes. It was the object again, oval shaped and very dark black background, no light or colours eminating from it, just a large oblong/shaped thing in the sky. We watched for a few minutes. Again, we were very pressed for time, so we took off heading for the downtown part of Vancouver. All the way driving into downtown Vancouver , I was fixed on the object which didn't move location for a long time. I observed it for a least 10 minutes more, but after that, it seemed to be getting smaller (probably either moving away (such as going south or it was moving upwards towards the atmosphere), but it definately was going somewhere. I lost complete sight of the object when we got to the location of 1st and Main Street in Vancouver.

((NUFORC Note: We spoke with this witness, and we found her to be exceptionally eloquent and credible. We believe she is not describing here the laser-based advertising light, that apparently was seen over Victoria, B.C., later on the same night. PD))