|Occurred : 7/28/2003 02:00 (Entered as : 07/28/03 02:00)
Reported: 8/7/2003 12:01:36 AM 00:01
Location: Charlotte, NC
|Large White & Orange Sphere over Kannapolis Concord NC Area
I was traveling South on I-85 outside of Kannapolis/Concord NC at 2:00am on Monday July 28th 2003 when I noticed a bright light over the trees to my left. I would not have given it much though except that it was so large and bright. I watched it as I drove looking for some type of support like a pole underneath it or perhaps an aircraft above it. I reached a point where there were no trees in the way of my view and I saw for the first time that it was hanging in midair completely independent. Intrigued I pulled my car over to the side of the road, got out, and tried to make sense of what I was seeing. It was a ball of light, about the color of an florescent light bulb only a bit whiter and much brighter; and when I say ball I mean a 3 dimensional object in the form of a sphere, and it was as far as I could tell a perfect ball shape, no flaws apparent, very vivid, very well focused, sharp edged sphere. The color was uniform through out its surface except for a small patch of orange on the bottom. You know how when you look at an incandescent light bulb you can see the filament burning inside of the clear or frosted glass? Well it was nothing like that. The light was even through out, almost as though it WAS light. The object made no sound, it did not change in intensity, there were no sparks, no fumes, no smoke, no windows, no antenna, no landing gear. I could not tell it's size but I know it was big.I could hold my hand out in font of me at arms length and cover about 90% of the object. I didn't have the slightest bit of fear, I was to busy taking it all in. Every fiber of my being told me that what I was witnessing COULD NOT BE HAPPENING.
I spent the entire time determining what it was not, and believe me I wanted it to be something I could identify, but it was not.
1. it was NOT an airplane 2. it was NOT a balloon 3. it was NOT a helicopter a) if it was a helicopter with a spotlight pointed at me, then they would have had to be pointing the light directly at me and continued to point it at me until it went out of sight because the light never became an ellipse. It maintained its circular (actually spherical) shape for the entire observation; plus I never heard a sound.
4. it was Not burning swamp gas a) it would seem to me that if it were a gas then it would have been some irregular ever changing shape as it would be unconfined.
5. it was NOT Venus, a meteor, or a re-entry / launch 6. It was NOT the moon.
7. I don't think it was "Balled Lightning" what ever that is. I don't know if it can exist on a clear, and calm summer night; but it just seems as if it could not have been so large and so steady then move slowly away without a perceivable change in color or intensity.
8. It was NOT a satellite.
a) it was not viewable the next night same time/place; b) it filled a full four inches of my field of view, c) it did NOT appear to "move along" with me as I traveled south. I started out looking forward towards the object.
Then saw it through a break in the tree line and it was right beside me. By the time I pulled over (half a mile later) it was slightly behind me.
9. It was NOT built by McDonnell Douglas.
I observed the object for about 2 minutes then it moved slowly away from my line of sight toward the East until I could no longer see it. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me in my 36 years.
It was real, and I will never forget one moment of it.
((NUFORC Note: The planet, Mars, would be visible in the southern sky at the time of the sighting, but it would not be as large as a man's fist, held at arm's length. We do not know what he observed, but it sounds quite interesting. PD))