NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 3/29/1966 20:00 (Entered as : 03/29/1966 20:00)
Reported: 4/17/2004 4:41:45 PM 16:41
Posted: 4/27/2004
Location: Roscoe, IL
Shape: Chevron
Duration:45 Minutes
Multiple craft over Northern Illinois interacting with each other.

At the time this sighting took place, I was 14 years old. I was talking to the neighbor on the phone when I first noticed a goldish colored ball of light flying over the field behind our house. My first thought was it was one of several local farmers who had small planes getting ready to make a turn in preparation to land. As I watched it, I could see something just wasn't right with the way it was flying, even though most of the farmers were flying the old Piper Cubs, which are capable of flying quite slow, this was even slower than that. I had seen probably hundreds of fly-bys by the local farmers over the same field, and this just didn't compare to any of those as far as speed, flight pattern, and the coloration of the lights. Instead of turning as I expected it to, the light just continued to come straight on towards our house, and soon the brightness of it's light was just too different from any planes landing lights I had seen. I yelled at the neighbor on the phone to tell his parents to look out over the field, I then yelled to my mother and two brothers, who were in the next room, to look over the field at the light, which they did. Just as the light reached the edge of the field, and the fence line, it was if someone turned off a switch, and it went dark. My mother and brothers came into the kitchen where I was, and I asked my mom if she knew what it could have been. Before she could answer we heard something passing over the house. It was more of a sensed sound, rather than audible, maybe more like we felt some sort of pulsing vibration. Mom seems to remember it sounding like an air compressor, like those at gas stations as they replenish the air supply.

When I heard this I ran to the front door, and opened it to go outside, I can remember my mom yelling not to open the door, but it was too late as I had opened it and exited to the outside. My mom and brothers were standing on the porch yelling at me to come back, as I stood in the front yard looking up at the bottom of the craft which I don't think was more than 200 feet or so above the house. There was 1 large light in the center, with a ring over real small lights around that, and a medium size light at the end of each point of the structure, but under the edge, not at the wing tips. I belived the large light was blue, the circle of small lights were orangish. The ones at the wing points were red and white. As I looked up at it, I felt something like a mist, it reminded me of a very light spring rain as far as size of droplets, and intensity. The craft was not moving fast at all, maybe 5 to 10 miles per hour, but that estimate may be off because of it's size, which was I estimate to be 200' from furthest point to furthest point. I then noticed that my eyes were beginning to burn, and that when I tried to look up at it, I could no longer keep my eyes open. It was not a burn like an acid burn, but more like an irritation, as you would get spraying a fine mist of salt water into your eyes. At this time I retreated back to the porch, where my mom and 2 brothers were.

The craft seemed to stop over the trees across the street from our house and just hover there for about 3 minutes, then began to ascend straight up. It did not change it's attitude to ascend. The front did not rise, the back did not drop, it just remained level and started to go straight up. I then noticed that at a high altitude a single white light appeared and seemed to be getting larger and brighter. In the next few minutes, I seen 3 more craft, identical to the one that had passed over our house appear, it seems from 3 other directions. I remarked that the one that had passed over our house had arrived out of the south, of the others, one came from the north, one from the east and one from the west. That large white lighted object grew to be about 10 times the size of each of the smaller craft and then stopped it's descent. All 4 of the smaller craft seemed to be hovering, with fronts of their craft pointing towards this large white object. Then one of the smaller craft moved slowly towards the larger craft, and when it's front seemed to make contact with the larger object, it suddenly began to rotate in a clockwise fashion, nose to large craft. This gave me the impression that the larger craft was in fact rotating in this fashion. and the small craft must have docked with it. One by one each of the other small craft also docked with the larger craft, and soon all 4 small craft were, as best as I can describe it, sliding sidways around the perimeter of the larger craft.

This went on for about 30 minutes, when one by one each of the smaller craft broke away from the larger craft, and flew off in opposite directions. One to the south, one north, one east and one west. The large white object simply ascended back up into the sky until it was lost from sight.

When my dad arrived home soon after he was sceptical, so he split us all up into different rooms, and gave each of us a piece of paper and a pencil. Told each of us to draw the object and label anything we had seen. It wasn't long before he was frantically running from room to room, because all of our drawings matched. My mom appeared on several local radio programs over the next few days and was interviewed. Many of these programs had people calling in claiming they saw the same objects. It turned out the neighbors had been so frightened by it, they closed all their curtains, lit candles and had all their children gather in the living room and prayed through the whole ordeal. The story also appeared for several days in the local newspaper, The Beloit Daily News, Beloit, WI.

((NUFORC Note: Date is approximate. PD))