NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/1/1978 14:00 (Entered as : 1978 14:00)
Reported: 3/22/2007 1:51:29 PM 13:51
Posted: 4/27/2007
Location: Georgia coast (90 miles off shore), GA
Shape: Diamond
Duration:2 hours
1978 Atlantic Ocean Sighting

"While around 90 miles off the eastern coast of Georgia on board a military vessle that was stationary in the water giving a foreign freighter needed fuel, a contact appeared on the radar scope that was verified as a "true echo" as well as not a craft that is from the United States or an allied nation.

This echo was showing up at 900 feet altitude which is the exact height that the surface search radar ends & the air search radar begins. As the echo faded from the surface search radar it began appearing brilliantly on the air-search radar, then vise versa.

Around 10 minutes later, upon exiting the radar room to go outside for a possible visual, it was immediately noticed that it had become quite foggy outside! Visibility was less than 50 feet! Yet, the last weather observation was low humidity, 74 degrees and calm wind! It was at that point that previous books read pertaining to U.F.O.'s, sightings, abductions, etc. became the thinking while going to the port-side of the ship.( In one abduction case written about, the author had written about how aliens went about preparing the abductees for viewing what was to be a sort of weather show that the aliens were about to conduct).

Upon arriving to the port side of the ship & looking upward about 45 degrees towards the baring the echo showed on the radars, it was witnessed that within the fog was a diamond shaped object that was showing various colors like that of a gem was seen.

There was no sound whatsoever coming from the object, nor was it moving. Once atop the bridge (called flying bridge), a 'bolted-to-the-deck' double lens telescope was swung towards the objects direction. Once focused onto the object, one could see what was the outline of what appeared to be the window area of a saucer or ship.

The various lights emitted from this craft seemed to come from all areas except for the windows area. The windows area appeared as a dark tinted set of windows, and that there seemed to be motions coing from inside the glass though one couldn't get a very clear view through the tinted glass along with the fog that was drifting past the windows in waves.

The windows area appeared to be angling downward towards the ship, the bottom pointed end of the craft appeared to be slanted back while the pointed top appeared to be pointing forward as was the tinted windows just below the top point of this craft.

It was decided to go back to the radar room to attempt to get further data established without alerting any officer or crewmate. Once back inside the radarroom, the echo was still appearing on either the surface search or the air search radars. It was then that it was decided that this craft is aware of the radars antenna's 'beamwidths'! The width between the two antennas is mere feet but enough that if a craft has the ability to trace the ships electrical output from those antennas that craft could in fact hide between the two radar antennas without being detected.

The good thing was that this craft was not completely successful in hiding itself completely either with the heavy fog nor between the beam-widths of the two antennas. As minutes passed, it was noticed that this echo began to move! This echo was plotted during 3 complete sweeps from the air-search radar (set at 350 miles). After the 3rd sweep the echo disappeared completely off the radar screen! The results of the 3 plotted marks were; 1. Altitude 1000 feet, speed 400 knots, 2. altitude over 15,000 feet, speed est. near 800 knots, 3. Altitude surpassing 50,000 feet, speed est. over 5000 knots! It was then decided to go back outside for any further visual possible. Once outside, there was no fog whatsoever present, the sky was completely clear with the sun shining which was the precise weather just before the contact had first appeared on either radar screen! As for the name of the military vessle, any other witnesses, etc., it has been kept annonymous. Though noone on board the ship was alerted to this sighting, others did notice and it was talked about by fellow radar operators, crewmates, etc. for days to come afterwards.

The above information is of fact to the best of ones knowledge, and is in no way a hoax or the like.

Also, this report is not the 1st sighting ever seen by oneself. Another sighting can be traced back to either 1966 or 1967 during the summer which was located 60 miles north of Albany NY & was printed in a small column in the local newspaper there (Post Star).

Footnote; there are other details of the ocean sighting that were omitted due to protecting witnesses as well as oneself. As for the possibility of being sworn to secrecy, one could say that it was a good possibilty.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. PD))

((NUFORC Note: Witness elects to remain totally anonymous; provides no contact information. PD))