NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 10/1/1974 20:00 (Entered as : 10/01/1974 20:00)
Reported: 7/15/2007 7:19:32 AM 07:19
Posted: 8/7/2007
Location: Ankara (Turkey),
Shape: Changing
Duration:5 min.
A bright, huge, and shape-changing object, exploded into numerous smaller spherical objects which moved in formation.

It was an autumn evening with a clear sky. The sun had set about an hour ago when the incident occurred. My family (my parents and my brother) were having an after-dinner tea time at the balcony of our apartment; and I was in my room. Our apartment was located at the top of a hill in the city, where the most of the north side of the city was visible from. Then my brother came into my room shouting that there was something strange in the sky. I rushed out to the balcony.

The object was about 5- 8 kilometers away, at an altitude of 1500 - 2000 meters above the city. It was huge. Comparing with the buildings at that distance, I can say that it was 150-200 meters in diameter. The object had a very bright silvery metal color. It was self luminous, and a “haze” of bright white light was surrounding it. It’s difficult to describe its shape because of the brightness and the “light” surrounding it. The “haze” was not homogeneous; it had a somewhat patchy appearance, and for short durations of time (5 to 10 seconds), it was possible to see parts of the thing inside. The inside object was roughly egg-shaped, but its shape was constantly changing. The “shell of the egg” was fluctuating like the appearance of the surface of wavy melted metal. It looked as if something inside, trying to come out, were forcing and deforming the wall. The object had not moved around and stayed still at that location for about 2-3 minutes. Then suddenly something even more strange had happened: The object had gradually expanded 2-3 times in diameter while its brightness had increased making it difficult to look at it directly, and then it “exploded” without making any noise (in fact, no sound at all could be heard during the whole incident). This event took about 10 seconds. In a few seconds after the explosion, all the “white – silvery – bright” haze and other things had disappeared, and numerous (about 50 or so of them) spherical objects came out of it. The spheres were also luminous but not that bright. They had pale neon colors on their surface with a thin layer of “haze”. The spheres were all identical to each other. They were perfect spheres in shape. Although it is difficult to make a correct estimate, based on their distance and their altitude, I can say that their diameters were about 20 meters or so. No details (windows, signs, etc.) were seen on their surfaces, except that their ever changing pale neon colors.

Immediately after their appearance, the spheres started to move towards south (towards our location). They moved horizontally at a constant speed, and did not change direction. Their speed was about twice or three times faster than an airliner. They moved all together at the same speed, side- by-side; but they were not lined up in perfect rows. They did not make any sound at all. They did not leave any trails behind them while they move. They passed over the roof and disappeared from our sight.

Besides us, thousands of people of the city had observed the incident. The incident took place in local newspapers next day. The government agencies explained the incident as “a meteorite passing over the city”.

That spectacular show was the most extraordinary event of my life. Despite after the 30 years passed, and still remembering most of the details, I do not have any explanation of it. It was certainly not a “meteorite”, not even close to it.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting is approximate. PD))