NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/15/1965 22:00 (Entered as : Jun 1965 22:00)
Reported: 8/29/2007 4:29:57 PM 16:29
Posted: 10/8/2007
Location: Iwakuni (Japan),
Shape: Light
Duration:2 minutes?
Object seen skimming across bay in Iwakuni Japan.

I was on guard duty on the causeway in the Marine Base at Iwakuni Japan. The causeway had a two story building on it and there were several shipping crates on the deck about 100 yards away from the building. We were supposed to walk around the shipping crates during our watch.

The sun was to my left when it was setting. I believe I was walking approximately north and south as I walked around the boxes.

It had gotten dark and I was standing next to one of the boxes when I saw what appeared to be a white light come out from my left. At first I thought it might be a helicopter light, but it was too big.

It came down to the water to my left, and skimmed across the bay from my left to my right. I would have been facing north-east at this point if my memory serves me right.

The object made no sound, however I could hear the water beating against the hull of the object as it went across the bay. When it got to my far right, it shot up at a 45 degree angle. Within seconds it was so small that I could not tell it from the stars that were visible on that night. It was nearly cloudless and I could see quite well.

Once I got over the initial shock of seeing something that I could not explain, I ran to the building as fast as I could. I got inside and told the clerk sitting behind the counter that I needed to call the corporal of the guard. I was so excited felt flushed and could hardly talk.

I called and told the corporeal on duty that I had seen a UFO.

He immediately cut me off and said that I had not seen anything. I tried to explain to him that I in fact HAD seen a UFO and he cut me off again. He told me that I would be given a section 8 if I tried to report this incident. He told me that for my own good, I had better keep what I saw to myself and not report it.

I reluctantly told him, "Okay!" and hung up the phone. I didn't want any trouble and surely didn't want to be drummed out of the service over it. A section 8 means that they would send me to the nuthouse.

I didn't tell anyone about this until recently. I was 18 when this happened. I am now 60.

I am a former Law Enforcement officer and know what I saw. It was not a plane or a helicopter. We did not have any planes on that airbase that could shoot up into the sky like that and disappear that fast. At the time, I believe we were using the A-4 Phantom Jets, but I could be wrong about their designation. I was a marine in the airwing at the time.

((NUFORC Note: Source of report indicates that date of the event is approximate. PD))