NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 9/26/1985 21:25 (Entered as : 09/26/85 21:25)
Reported: 1/19/2008 9:48:02 AM 09:48
Posted: 1/21/2008
Location: Austin, TX
Shape: Chevron
Duration:20 min.
Chevron flew 5 mph, 150 yards from me, 200 feet off the ground.

I was inspired to finally report about what I saw 23 years ago by the recent interest spurred by the Stevenville, Texas sighting. I have probably told this to approximately 10 to 15 people in all these years because as any other person that has seen a UFO can tell you “people think you are crazy”.

This sighting happened in September or October of 1985.

I was a teacher for a trade school for Austin Community Collage and a local union in Austin Texas. I let out class around 9:00 PM on a Thursday night. My route home took me down South Lamar to Brodie Lane. This area of Austin was mostly farm land back then. As I turned left onto Brodie, I saw an object in the sky moving over the farm house on my right. I stopped and got out of my truck to get a better look. There were a few other cars going by and I tried to get them to stop and see but they just kept going by. It was approximately 150 yards from me and 200 feet off the ground. It looked like both wings of a jet connected in the middle, boomerang or V shaped, but there was no fuselage. I later learned it was called chevron. On the front there were 6 extremely bright white lights, two close together on each side of the center and single lights towards the tips. Behind it where fuselage should be, was a hazy, foggy, reddish-pink glow. It was moving steadily only about 5 miles per hour, silently except for a 3 or 4 second blast of what sounded like high pressure air release every 30 seconds. I watched it for around 20 minutes as it flew north-northwest directly over Barton Creek Mall.

I called Bergstram, the closest Air Force base at that time, to report the sighting. For the next few days I went back and forth with phone calls with different people and then they gave me the brush off. They did, however, tell me they had no aircraft flying that night. It feels good to report this after all these years. This is the first time I have written down this experience. I hope it will jog someone else’s memory that was in the area and serious investigation continues.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the incident is approximate. PD))