NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/11/1966 13:00 (Entered as : 06/11/66 13:00)
Reported: 5/17/2008 8:46:09 AM 08:46
Posted: 6/12/2008
Location: Ypsilanti, MI
Shape: Disk
Duration:3 minutes
Hide and Seek with UFO

In late June of 1966, after my teaching job near Detroit ended for the year, my wife, our little boy, and I returned to our hometown of Ypsilanti, Michigan, to stay at my parents’ house while I took classes at Eastern Michigan University to finish my MA.

One Friday summer night in June, we ate dinner and spent a relaxing evening playing cards and watching TV at my wife’s sister’s house across town. Very late, probably around one am, we drove back to my parents’ home near the city limits. Just as we approached, a bright light three blocks away attracted our attention.

This being the neighborhood where I had grown up, I assumed the floodlight was from an Edison power crew working on a large transformer that sat in a fenced-off corner of Congress Street and Owendale and located at one end of land owed by the school district. Since we were still wide awake, we continued on to investigate.

To our astonishment, there was no Edison truck. Instead, the floodlight came from directly above the treetops. Its light source was a circular-shaped craft outlined by pulsating colored lights and hovering silently perhaps thirty feet or so over the power station. I remember shouting to my son asleep in the back seat and trying to wake him. (He was only four and remembers little of it today.) Certainly aware that the three occupants of a VW beetle posed no threat, the craft slowly lifted above treetop level and silently accelerated about a quarter mile over the trees lining the road when it abruptly stopped, almost as though it waited for us to catch up. Of course I tried. When I drew near, the craft raced another quarter mile or so and again stopped just above tree level. It repeated this strange “catch us if you can’’ maneuver a final time. Then suddenly it rose. I remember jumping out of the car and watching as the craft accelerated and merged with the stars. The entire encounter was over in probably two or three minutes.

We hurried home, burst into my sleeping parents’ bedroom, awakened them, and shared our experience. My Mom believed us; my dad, probably not. What I do know is that my wife and I had encountered and tried to chase an extra- terrestrial craft one early morning. And as long as I live, I will never forget the experience.