NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/15/1978 20:30 (Entered as : 06/15/1978 20:30)
Reported: 9/14/2008 3:43:36 PM 15:43
Posted: 10/31/2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Shape: Oval
Duration:5 minutes
HUGE oval craft hovering over the treetops follows our car.

I do not know the exact day. I am positive that it was the summer of 1978. I was 11 years old. My father was stationed in Baton Rouge for one year working with the National Guard. He was in Engineering. I had the luxury of flying all over Europe with him since the age of 5. I had been exposed to aircraft of all types. Years later, I joined the Air Force and compared all of the aircraft that I saw daily with what I saw back in 1978. I know that I saw a UFO.

My mother, father and I had gone to a carnival. We were on our way back home. The entrance to our neighborhood was a long wide tree lined street. There were no tall buildings. We lived in a quiet suburban middle class neighborhood. My father drove a golden 1978 Cutlass Supreme. I sat on the back right passenger side behind my mother. There was absolutely no noise. No radio on. No one was talking. I was an only child.

To this day I do not know why I looked out of the rectangular window. The one thing that I clearly remember was that,although it was dark,there was a large moon and the sky was absolutely clear with no clouds. I looked out and up. I watched the biggest craft I have ever seen in my life hovering just above the tree tops. The craft was following our car! I remember bein astounded by the fact that there was NO SOUND! I had ridden on airplanes. I had watched hot air balloons take off. I had been on the ground when airplanes fly low over a parade. The sound should have been deafening. All I could hear was myself breathing.

The craft was oval. The top was rounded. For approximately 4 minutes there were no lights. Just before the craft flew away a row of lights came on along the outermost edge of the widest part of the oval. I remember red and cream colored lights. They were not blinking like a turn signal. They slowly faded in an out. And they did not all come on at the same time. It seemed systematic from front to back.

I watched the craft follow our car for about 1 minute. It took me that long to find my voice. I said "Look!" My dad was driving and could not look. I said "Somebody! Look!" Instead of looking out the side window my mom said "What do you want us to look at?" I was so frustrated because I could not formulate the descriptive words necesary. My mother was being stubborn and did not look in any direction on purpose. I said "Dad! Please look!" He tried to look. To this day, this memory brings tears to my eyes because he tried to look. He could not see from where he sat. During the entire conversation I never took my eyes off of the UFO.

What happened next confirmed my belief that this was a UFO. By now, we have travelled at least a mile down the road. The craft had followed our car the entire time. Once the lights came on, the craft simply did a right angle and flew away in an straight line so fast it was unbelievable. The craft did NOT BANK right. I followed it with my eyes as long as I could.

This whole event took between 5-7 minutes. I remember thinking that the craft had to be as tall as a 6 story building. Maybe taller. I think that it was as long as a couple of football stadiums. The bottom of the craft was flat. I did not see any windows. I felt that the color of the object was greyish. It was definitely a matte finish. Not metallic.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that date of incident is approximate. PD))