NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 1/6/2011 19:25 (Entered as : 01/06/11 19:00)
Reported: 1/6/2011 8:53:13 PM 20:53
Posted: 1/31/2011
Location: Wildomar, CA
Shape: Fireball
Duration:2 minutes
Large ball of glowing light with glittering tail breaks into three pieces, hovers in mid air and then vanishes without a trace.

At about 7:25 pm on January 6, 2011, my dad looked out of our living room window and shouted for us to run outside. I immediately looked at where he was pointing and saw what I originally thought was a very large meteor at about a 45 degree angle from where I stood outside on my side yard. It was glowing immensely with white light and had a rather long tail composed of what my friends I thought looked like bits and pieces of flaming glitter. It was lightly bumpy, form what I could see, and had a white/yellow light radiating around it. We all stormed outside and gazed up, marveling the spectacular glow. It was west in direction, traveling in a downward motion, much like a meteor. The size was very large, about 1/5 of the moon (compared to how we see it in the sky). The sphere traveled down for a good 20-25 seconds then broke into three equal pieces of glowing ball. It continued to fall for 2-3 more seconds then abruptly stopped in mid air and hovered. It just hovered there in the sky then began to rotate in a circle formation for a good 10-15 seconds. The rotating was like the planets rotating around the sun, without the sun. It hovered for about 25-30 seconds. I then ran into my house to grab my cell phone to see if I may catch it on my camera then ran outside and began to film. As soon as my camera picked up about 4 seconds of three hovering lights, it moved downward very slowly and began to head south, then vanished into thin air. It did not disintegrate or break apart; it vanished, like a magician in movies.

We looked and looked to see if maybe it hid behind a cloud or tree, but after a few minutes of looking, we knew it had gone for good. The whole event lasted about 1 and a half to 2 minutes.

((NUFORC Note: Suspected parachute jumpers. PD))