NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 9/25/2011 23:40 (Entered as : 09/25/11 23:40)
Reported: 10/7/2011 4:31:10 AM 04:31
Posted: 10/10/2011
Location: Phillips, ME
Shape: Light
Duration:a few seconds
Very large light moving across the sky, disappearing behind the tree line, followed by a flash of light as if something had exploded

I realize that the UARS satellite was predicted to have fallen on Friday or Saturday (9/23-24) but I saw something on Sunday night (9/25) that I thought I should report. Maybe it was just a meteor but it was the largest light in the sky, other than the sun, the moon or fireworks, that I've ever seen.

On Sunday (9/25/11) at approximately 11:40 P.M. I was out on my porch and I saw a large light move across the sky. I only saw it for about 2 seconds before it disappeared behind some nearby trees. I watched to see it reappear on the other side of the trees, and saw it for an instant through the trees, but before it could reappear there was a flash in the sky. The flash wasn't overly dramatic, but easily discernable and originated behind the trees where the light had been. I'm assuming it exploded or burned up or something at that time because it never did reappear.

I live in Phillips, Maine and from my location the light, which was a yellowish white, was moving from north to south in the western sky. I would guess that it was about 30 to 35 degrees up from the horizon - so not too high in the sky. The size of the light was the thing that caught my eye. It was large, I would estimate that it was larger than 1/3 and smaller than 1/2 the diameter of the moon. Another way to describe it would be if I were to draw on a piece of paper how big an average meteor looked I would draw something maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch in diameter. Compared to that this light would be closer to a full inch. There was no sound that I could hear.

I have reported this in an email to Nasa and also to Linda Molton Howe. I also called the local sheriff’s department and was told mine was the only report and that they would contact me if they ever discovered what it was that I saw. It’s been almost two weeks now and I haven’t heard anything back from anyone. I apologize for not getting this to NUFORC sooner but I didn’t think of it until I heard NUFORC mentioned on a recording of Coast to Coast that I was listening to.

I hope this info is helpful, and if the light wasn't part of UARS then I would really like to know what it was.