NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 7/9/2012 00:00 (Entered as : 7/9/2012 0:00)
Reported: 7/10/2012 12:39:05 PM 12:39
Posted: 8/5/2012
Location: Olympia, WA
Shape: Circle
Duration:1 1/2 minutes
Red Glowing Orb of Light

Monday, January 9th ((sic. July 09th)) @ 12am in West Olympia, WA, Washington had a lightning storm this evening. The storm was in the north sky. People were outside watching and socializing. I took a moment to gaze myself in the front of my apartment. I was doing laundry, and walked through the building to the back side to change the it over. As I was walking, to the east a red light in the trees about 100ft away caught my eye.

I stopped in mid stride. I muttered, "What the?" and within 3 to 5 seconds found myself running towards it. It was about 200 ft in the air, slowly descending above a thicket of Evergreens, behind a row of houses, and next to a church. It was luminous red, orb like and very bright. I am having trouble gauging the diameter of the object. It wasn't huge, but it wasn't small either. Maybe 10ft x 10ft? The center of the object shone very bright. So bright I squinted my eyes. This made me think it was a helicopter. But the closer I got, it was apparent this was no helicopter. Associated with this red glowing orb was no sound, no wind, no smoke, no sulfur smell. Just a bright glowing red orb in a slow controlled decent into the trees.

I was not the only witness. When I ran out to the street, there were two cars parked and idling in the middle of the road. Their passengers, teenagers. They had spilled out onto the sidewalk and were staring in awe just as I was, "Did you just see that?" I said, "The red glowing light, yeah! What was that?" said one of the males. Neither of us knew. But we agreed that there was no sound associated with the mysterious red orb in the sky.

I had my phone in hand ready to capture video, but it had disappeared into the trees before I could film. One of the teenagers said he captured it with his video camera. I was so focused on it returning, that I failed to exchange information with him so I could see the video he took.

After a couple of minutes they all drove away, and I continued to stand there for another 15. I stared at the trees hoping it would reappear. I also listened for something to indicate a hoax; people partying in their back yards, laughter, music. Anything to give logic to what we had seen. There was nothing except quiet dark houses, white lightning and me alone in the street.

I have knocked on the houses that the red orb descended behind, asking people if they were aware of what happened in the early hours of that morning. One of the teenagers that was witness to the event lives in one of the houses and answered the door. He says that it was a friend of a friend who took the video. I left my name, email address and phone number hoping he will pass my information along.