NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 1/1/2014 00:30 (Entered as : 01/01/14 0:30)
Reported: 1/3/2014 9:43:57 PM 21:43
Posted: 1/10/2014
Location: Ocala, FL
Shape: Light
Duration:~20 minutes
12 slow moving orange lights over 20 min. period

Sighting: 1-1-14 12:30+/-am thru12:50+/-am Location: SW 38th Ave, Ocala Fl.

Weather: rain/overcast/not windy As I was driving home from work south along SW 38th Ave(along side of I-75) I noticed off to the right through the windshield (approx 2 o”clock position) along the top of the tree line, two bright reddish orange lights separated by what I would guess a few hundred feet in the sky below the cloud layer (it had just began to sprinkle rain again) of probably a 200-300ft ceiling. My impression was that they were no more than a mile or less away from me. At first I couldn't tell if they were moving. As I proceeded I did perceive they were moving slowly, not in tandem but the same general direction. They didn't seem to be joined. They move towards the southwest, almost paralleling my route. NO other lights or “navigational lights” were seen. After about 2 minutes the light farthest west of me disappeared. Followed by the second one at approximately the same point in the sky a minute later. I could not determine if they just turned off the lights or flew above the cloud layer or just disappeared. VERY weird.

As I continued driving I couldn't stop thinking about what I had just seen. A minute or so later I had the urge to look at the same spot where I had first seen them to see if there would be more and much to my shock there were EIGHT more strung out over I would guess a distance between a half to one mile long. There was no type of "formation" to them, just scattered across the sky. All exactly the same color and intensity as the prior two. They followed the same movement as the first two. Again they didn't seem to be joined together in any way. I watched them as I continued driving for the next 2-3 min. I finally got so frustrated that I had pay attention to driving I simply stopped the car in the road got out in the light rain to watch them unimpeded. I watched for another 2-3 min. Again my impression, based on the low cloud cover, was they couldn't have been more that a mile away from me. Probably placing the one closest to me no more that a half a mile maybe less. I could hear NO sound coming from them. I even cupped my hands behind my ears for at least a minute to try and determine if they were engine driven. NO sound. They then began to “disappear” one at a time just as the prior two had. WIERD.

At this point I was exhilarated and could wait to get home and tell my wife. I was very disappointed that I was so close to home but could make it there to rouse my wife to see them in time. Well one more time as I turned down my street I looked back to the same spot and once again I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, there in the sky were two more. Same as the last 10. I raced inside to get my wife up to see them. She WASN'T happy. Until she looked out the bedroom window to see them. We watched them for a couple of minutes till they followed the others to the southwest and finally “disappeared”. Made no sense to her either. Now she can't say I'm crazy.