NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/30/2008 22:00 (Entered as : 2008)
Reported: 4/28/2014 4:54:15 PM 16:54
Posted: 5/2/2014
Location: Pacific Ocean (near California coast),
Shape: Unknown
Duration:5-7 minutes
Two Sailors notice Air Contact while on watch that was not showing up on radar.

One night while underway onboard an Aircraft Carrier, myself and another sailor were on the 2000 to 0000 Port-Fantail Look Out Watch in the Pacific off the coast of the United States. I spotted an “Air Contact” and immediately got on Comm’s to report it in. However, that was proven to be difficult. I first started to report it as a white light coming from through the fog. When I attempted to get its elevation, using my hand, it would not stay in one position for no more than a split second and I was only able to provide a target range that it was moving back and forth between.

I was reporting it in to the Bridge. The Bridge could not see it using bino’s, nor was it showing up on radar. The Bridge and I were stressing the issue, because we had flight op's going on with Jets in the air. I had already confirmed with the other sailor that he could see it too so that I knew I wasn’t just seeing things. The Bridge communicated back to me that it was probably just someone on the flight deck shining a flashlight into the fog. I reported back that it wasn’t shining into the fog and that it was coming from in the fog. It wasn’t like a light shining towards me either. It was a lighted object.

Soon after the encounter started was when I went from reporting it as a light to reporting it in as an object. I could then see it as an object that was “Camouflaged”, in a way, with the fog. The fog made it very difficult to get a good shape of it. The constant darting backwards, forwards, up, and down diagonally made it very difficult as well. It was almost egg shaped, but distorted. Everything about it made it to where you could almost get a good description of it, but then lose good sight of it before you could really process it.

After about 5-7 minutes or so, I lost contact with the Air Contact. Myself and the other sailor were weirded-out knowing that we could the Air Contact yet it did not show up on radar or able to be seen by anyone else. It remained to be an unidentified Air Contact.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the event is approximate. PD))