NUFORC Home Page
Web Report Indexes : by Event Date | by Location | by Shape | by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 6/6/1966 12:00 (Entered as : 6/6/66 12:00)
Reported: 5/17/2014 1:04:30 PM 13:04
Posted: 6/4/2014
Location: Sonoma, CA
Shape: Cigar
Duration:3 hours
Long Cigar Shaped object keeps up with my bus for over two hours.

It was June of 1965, and I was just out of High School and on my way on a bus to Sonoma California Security Base for high (above top secret) Naval Security training. It was a clear day as the bus rolled through the rolling hills of Central California. I glanced through the right side window where I sat to admire the golden California countryside. I saw hovering over the mountains in the distance a huge object. I assumed it was a dirigible the Navy used to use during the Second World War to observe the ocean front property where they kept an eye open for enemy subs and such. Then I realized it had been keeping up with the bus for over an hour. The mountains in the distance were high, but this cigar shaped thing dwarfed the mountains it hovered over. I knew then and there it was a different kind of craft than a dirigible because I had studied the history of dirigibles and knew they could not move that fast. I also realized that dirigibles were not as big as this thing was. Keeping in mind that I was in Central California where things look closer than they really are, it had to be longer than fourteen football fields, it was huge, far longer than any conventional dirigibles being used at the time, or at any other time in military history.

I was on my way to a secret Naval Security Base with a Top Secret Clearance, so there was no way I was going to report the incident or I would have been chipping paint on a submarine for the rest of my Naval career. I was trained as a Communications Tech and knew how to spot unusual objects in the sky (because that was my job), and spent years on a ship (in plotting) during the Viet Nam era, where I used all available equipment to track and plot each aircraft over and off Viet Nam soil. I had pics but we were never allowed to keep a private camera (because of what we saw daily). The only pics I had were OKd by the training head of Naval Security in our sector, which I do not want to mention.

Wish I had hidden a few, they were something to see.

I attest to this fact, and to other sightings during various conflict actions during the years 1966 and 1968 in and around the Viet Nam conflict. The cigar shaped one was only the first, many more followed. I guess this happened because my job in the military always had to do with Top Secret Operations, and I’m sure they (whoever they are) kept an open eye on everything we did.

One time I swear someone (or something) saved our guys on four River Gun Boats (three man crews) when they did their best to hold five North Vietnam Junks full of guns and explosives until the sun came up so they could check them for illegal weapons and such and to take prisoners. I was on duty on the Bridge with my Flak Jacket and Helmet when suddenly all hell broke loose. The Junks all began to fire at the River Boats (at me too). The River Boat crews held their own as best they could, but I saw several of the crew hit badly during the fight.

All of the sudden four of the five Junks were blown out of the water by some unseen friend overhead. They just exploded into oblivion, no residual left. I saw only one flash, what looked like a lightning strike, hit a Junk and it exploded. I hit the deck when bullets started hitting all around my head. The last Junk gave up quickly, and our ship took credit for the save. I saw it, I know we did not do it, but since truth is stranger than fiction so I left it at that.

Thank you friends whoever you were. You saved our guys.

But all I have to offer is my word, no pics. Please do not ever mention my name over the air because I am still bound by my Top Secret Clearance (for life) and could be in lots of do-do.

We can just refer to me as Henry B. (not my name)