Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 5/1/1998 02:00 (Entered as : 05/01/98 0200)
Reported: 2/24/2002 9:31:48 PM 21:31
Posted: 3/19/2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Shape: Light
Duration: 10 minutes
Characteristics: The object emitted beams
Unknown source of very intence light, with intence feelings of malevolence directed at victim.

Though this event took place some years ago and I did not actually see any vehicles, it is the nature of this event that prompts me to input here. I have rarely talked about this to anyone. I think I've told maybe 4 other individuals.

I am not a partaker of drugs and have no history of mental illness. No history of any type of episode out of the ordinary. I am a healthy adult male.

This was a very real event. This was a event that absolutely terrified me. I have never, ever been in such a bad situation. I have the chills just writing about it.

I was in a remote area of the desert east of San Diego on the border with Mexico. Jecumba was west of me by maybe 10-15 miles and Interstate 8 was north of me by maybe 5-7 miles. I was alone in the Valley of the Moon in April/May of 1998.

Before I proceed further, it is necessary to explain my usual awareness and habit when camping alone. I always maintain a fire and sleep in about 1 hr cycles. I wake up and stoke my fire. It has taken me years to do this. Force of habit and discipline. I have a healthy respect for the wilderness and my vulerabilty despite my physical size. I would also like to add that I consider myself "intune" with my surroundings. Sight and sound. I pay attention to the physical terrain, plants and animals that are around me. I consider myself highy spatially aware. You have to be. I do some pretty hard hiking and I have to rely on my sound judgement. I don't take risks, though I camp alone. I'm sure of myself.

I awoke to a very serious situation. My fire was out and I had dim coals. I was absolutely stunned. I've never done that! Ever! I must have been asleep for hours. I could not see a damn thing. Maybe a few moments later, as I busy trying to figure out what was wrong with me, the next serious situation occured to me. There was no sound. Nothing. It was as if the all the sound got sucked up into nothing. No wind and no animals. If you have ever been alone and are used to hearing all sorts of things...hearing nothing is always a sign that something happened or is about to happen.

This next part maybe a little wierd, but I get feelings. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end.

Let me tell you, I got switched on.

So I'm laying there in my sleeping bag next to a nearly dead fire and clutching my tire iron in one hand and my knife in the other. I'm telling you, unknown person, that I was in serious trouble. I felt a threat.

This dawning sence of danger and threat escalated into terror. Thats when the lights turned on.

There are not words to describe to you what I felt then.

I'm in a sort of cave made my rocks that have tumbled down off a small mountain. They've piled on each other forming a shelter. It's open in several places in the overhead and on the deck. A powerful blue-white light was pouring in from above! I mean it literally lit up everything. No sound. No sound whatsoever. I could plainly see the angle of the light coming in at 45 deg. It then started to orbit my little pile of rocks in a counterclockwise direction. It was moving pretty fast.

I'm an ex-Firecontrolman. USN. I've worked with and still work with some serious electronic equipement. The Navy taught me a lot of math so as to appreciate how the electronics work. Well, having done enough firecontrol problems involving range, bearing and height, I quickly had a vision of a upside down cone with me at the bottom, or pointy-end. The source of that light was at the other end forming the circle, or orbit. The walls of that cone formed maybe a 45 deg angle. A best guess. Knowing my terrain, the mountain was close to the origin, that was my present abode, was very close. Hell, it was peppered with very large house-sized rocks. Whatever was above me was very close. Within a 100ft. Maybe 75 ft. Anymore and it would have collided with the mountain.

Having been in the USN, I've been around all kinds of aircraft. I been around a lot of machinery. Every bit of it makes noise. Noise from gears, turbines, transmissions, AC/DC drives/ all makes a lot of noise.

Whatever was at the other end of that cone making the orbit within 100ft of me did not make a sound at all. If it was an helicopter, for me not to hear the noise of it's turbine, gearbox and transmissio,n it would have been more than a mile in the air, moving at a tremendous speed in it's orbit and somehow maintaining a beam of light at 45 deg to me through the mountain behind me when it went throught that arc.

It made maybe 5 or 6 orbits and turned off and was gone.

I must tell you of another quality to this event. When I say it was gone, I could feel it. I could actually feel it was gone. I don't know what the hell you are going to make of all this, and this new thing regarding my sence, but I could actually feel the danger abade. I've never felt that before. I mean, I had a clear as a bell since that I was in very real danger, like maybe I was going to die. I've never felt that before or since. My life is normal. I swear it. I'm telling you, however, that I could feel that whatever that thing was, it was evil, bad, malevolent, whatever. "It" did not have good intentions for me. I wasn't ready either. I'd like to tell you that I was standing on my feet with my weapons, but it's like I felt I was paralyzed by fear. It's like I couldn't move. I was frozen and terrified.

I'd like to add that I've seen helicopters doing patrol through this area. I suppose they were Boarder Patrol choppers. You can hear them from a mile off. They make a lot of noise.

That thing did not make a sound.

That's all I can tell you. I didn't see "It." I'm not trying to sound proud, or something like that, but I'm a pretty intelligent person. I know what "It" wasn't. Humans can't make machines like what "It" was yet. I can't say what it was either. Sherlock Holmes said that if you have eliminated the obvious, whatever is left, however preposterous, must be the answer. "It" was not human. No one can tell me otherwise. I'm 100% sure.

Maybe five minutes later, I felt like I could move again. The danger was gone. I got my fire up and didn't sleep the rest of the night.

Investigation of the area the next day before I left revealed nothing out of the ordinary that I could see.

I've been fine since then.

Like I said before, I don't have a history of drugs or mental illness. This is the only time in my life where I was unable to explain what was happening to me. Definitely, it's the only time I've ever been in fear of my life. I mean, actual fear of my life.

You can't have much more of an intence sensation than that.

I'll never forget it. It's not "all in my head." This happened to me.

((NUFORC Note: Date is approximate. Please see similar report from Fontana, CA, from late 1930's. PD))