Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 11/23/2003 22:00 (Entered as : 11/23/2003 22:00)
Reported: 12/3/2003 11:14:18 AM 11:14
Posted: 12/9/2003
Location: Morehead, KY
OHIO/MUFON FOLLOW-UP REPORT: More information regarding peculiar case of unidentified screams.

((NUFORC Note: We express our gratitude to Ms. Donnie Blessing, Southern Ohio State Section Director, MUFON, to Kenny Young for their willingness to share follow-up data, and the results of their investigation, concerning this peculiar case. Their investigation continues at this writing. E-address for Ms. Blessing is [RDonolin@CS.COM]. Anyone with additional information about this case is encouraged to contact either her, or Mr. Kenny Young at [ufo@FUSE.NET]

We would also like to thank the Morehead Police Department, and other local officials, for their willingness to make crucial information available to Kenny Young and Donnie Blessing, permitting follow-up investigation of the incident.

PD, December 03, 2003.))

((December 03, 2003, communication)) Peter, Please feel free to copy any of our reports to your website. We want to keep "all readers" posted on this unusual case. Our research is by no means close to being over on this case. I have many phone calls yet to make and leads to follow. We are determined to, 1. Find the screaming woman. 2. Find who alerted the police to the screaming. 3. More witnesses to the screaming and UFO. Todd Sees came to mind immediately when I first heard this story.

Donnie ((END)) ((NOVEMBER 27, 2003, COMMUNICATION BY KENNY YOUNG, ON CURRENT-ENCOUNTERS LIST)) SUBJECT: Unusual situation and 'bright lights' LOCATION: Morehead, KY (Rowan County) DATE: Sunday, November 23, 2003 TIME: Around 10:00 p.m.

This is a follow up to a N.U.F.O.R.C. sighting report that was just posted by Peter Davenport SUMMARY A report was submitted to The National UFO Reporting Center concerning a strange situation taking place near Morehead, Kentucky.

The report stated: "Morehead-Rowan Co. Rescue Sq.had a call from Morehead Police Dept. of a female crying for help three times From 2 witness then they was a bright light in the sky for about 1 min. RESCUE SQ.arrived on scene and started searching the area 1st & 2nd witness reported seeing this. The fire dept. was ask to begin searching with the thermal imaging camera with no results found. Res.of Morehead was one of the witnesses.Unless there is a confirmed report of a missing person,the search will not be continued." INVESTIGATION This morning I contacted the Morehead Police Dept at (606-784-7511) and talked to two very nice officers that were in the department (located at 105 E Main St Morehead, KY).

I asked the first dispatcher if he could provide any information about an unusual report I had concerning mysterious lights seen near Morehead.

"I think that was from the Rockfork area," he said, "and it was the northern lights, what they call an aurora. We had some calls on it. We had a report of the northern lights in the area." The dispatcher also informed that no officers reported the lights.

"There were some calls on it, one female caller reporting something in the sky, but it was the aurora borealis." I asked if the calls were related to the report of "screaming sounds" and the dispatcher said he did not think so.

I asked if there was a search conducted and he did not know for sure and began checking the logs. There was some confusion as to the date of event but found from his logbook he informed that a search was undertaken near Adams Lane on Sunday evening, November 23.

"There was some type of search because of a woman screaming, I think," he said, and also checked with another gentleman who was in the office, the captain of the fire department. I could overhear the gentleman talking (his name may have been Randy) who was knowledgeable about the situation. I then asked if I could speak directly with this person.

The Captain of the Fire Department came to the phone and said that on Sunday night, November 23, persons near Adams Lane began hearing a woman screaming three times around 10:00 p.m.

"We had a report of a woman screaming and then they didn't hear it no more," said the Morehead, KY fire official, "they called and the local rescue squad went out there, the fire department and the police went out and a search was conducted. The search used a thermal imaging device and lasted for about an hour and a half when it was called off." "We thought it might have been two kids who got scared," he said. "Maybe one scared another and they were frightened." I asked the fire official if he had any knowledge about the bright light in the sky seen for one minute and he said: "I got there at the tail end of things so don't know anything about it. I didn't see anything myself." I asked if he heard anyone else talking or rumors of a bright light in the sky during the time frame of the search and he said "no." COMMENT The two officers at the Morehead Police Department were kind and helpful. They were able to validate the report of 'mysterious screams' that appeared on N.U.F.O.R.C.

but did not have any information to link the 3 mysterious screams directly to a ighting of a 'bright light' in the sky.

The first officer said the bright light, seen a couple of days earlier, was caused by the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis, yet it seems unusual to think that several residents, as described, would see a pretty sunset and interpreted the situation in such a manner as to contact local police authorities.

Further, the initial report to N.U.F.O.R.C. sought to link the sighting of the bright light in the sky directly to the scream/search event and seemed to suggest that a "Res." of Morehead was one of the witnesses. "Res." might mean 'resident' or 'rescue' as in rescue worker. The poorly worded report also does not indicate what this 'Res' was a witness to, exactly.

Also, there may be some issue as to the time listed on the N.U.F.O.R.C. report as the claimant logs the event as occurring on 11/21/2003 when the dispatcher said the search took place Sunday evening, 11/23/2003 (and also noted that the northern lights were seen "a couple of days earlier").

Northern Lights have been prominent lately due to increased solar eruptions and flares from the sun.

Thanks to Peter Davenport, Donnie Blessing Filed, November 27, 2003 KENNY YOUNG Dear List: At approx. 11 A.M. today, December 2nd, 2003 I spoke with another witness to the amazing UFO/Screaming woman incident in Morehead, Ky.

The claimant, who is ex-military, informed me that she and her daughter witnessed the same UFO as it came down near to her home. Her testimony fits the same statements made by the prior witness, Mr. Virgil Davis. A full report of the claimant's story will follow shortly. The mystery of this case only deepens as this story unfolds.

Filed 12/2/03 Donnie Blessing Southern Ohio Section Director MUFON ((END)) ((NOVEMBER 30, 2003, POSTING TO CURRENT-ENCOUNTERS LIST BY KENNY YOUNG)) C.C.

CURRENT ENCOUNTERS "OPP-APP" List A short time ago I located and interviewed a very credible witness in Morehead, Kentucky that has provided me with a sober link between a UFO sighting and bizarre report of desperate and blood-curdling screaming sounds heard at the same location immediately after the unidentified flying object had departed.

After the conversation I had to call a 'time out' and take some time to contemplate over this development as the report is terribly interesting. It is one of the best reports I have ever taken as I am impressed with the witness and extreme strangeness of the case. I will prepare the details of this case shortly and have a report put together in the next hour or so.

The witness did not report this except to the police and has no idea how it ended up at NUFORC (Peter, can you help if you retain a source for the original report?).

As stated earlier, the Morehead police department was dismissive of this incident, when I contacted them they acknowledged a search party and report of screaming sounds but said that 'northern lights' were seen in the area. From my conversation with this very credible witness, northern lights can be positively ruled out.

This is a real mystery.

Full report is pending....

KENNY YOUNG ((END)) ((NOVEMBER 30, 2003, POSTING TO CURRENT-ENCOUNTERS LIST BY KENNY YOUNG)) SUBJECT: Screaming sounds firmly linked to UFO sighting LOCATION: Morehead, Kentucky (Rowan County) DATE: Friday, November 21, 2003 TIME: Between 9 and 10:00 p.m.

SUMMARY In effort to further explore the report of 'unidentified lights' and screaming sounds alleged in Morehead, Kentucky, an internet search was conducted to retrieve the address and phone numbers of residents of ((deleted)) (law officer earlier contacted had advised of the search taking place near this location).

After a "reverse lookup" was conducted at the internet resource Http:// one residency was identified on ((deleted)) Lane in Morehead, Kentucky.

That number was called around 6:30 p.m. this evening (Sunday, November 30, 2003) and I inquired if anyone could help me with information about the report of screaming sounds heard around one week earlier.

The call was received by Dr. ((name deleted)), a ((deleted)) college professor.

"I was here when the screams were heard," he said. "There were some loud, blood-curdling screams but nobody could find out anything more." I then asked if Dr. ((name deleted)) knew anything about any UFO sighting and he said: "Yes, I saw it." Dr. ((name deleted)) said that he was driving toward his home on Friday, November 21 between 9 and 10:00 p.m. with his 2 sons, 15 and 18-years old (He recalls the specific date, knowing that one son is in college and would not have been home any day except Friday).

While driving, they all spotted a soundless aerial object over a nearby open field that was described as an oval-shaped, white-colored light source as big as a pea held at arms length which moved 'like a hummingbird would move.' The object, seen in the dark and clear night skies, was relatively high when first seen and was "coming down, moving in increments as if an elevator would drop and stay there awhile, then drop and stay there awhile," Dr. ((name deleted)) said.

After the first 3 or 4 minutes of visual observation, the object began moving around to different parts of the sky. They got out of car to see if they could identify this object and verified to their satisfaction that the object was not a plane, helicopter or aurora borealis.

"My first inclination was to rationalize what this object could have been," Dr. ((name deleted)) said. "rather than jumping to conclusions. After we ruled out the various possible explanations we assumed that this was a UFO." "I know for a fact that there was no explanation for this object and I'm just glad I had my two sons with me to see it," he said.

After observing this object for a few minutes, Dr. ((name deleted)) and his 2 sons got back in the car and drove on to their home under a certain sense of apprehension.

"I would say that our feeling was more a sense of apprehension than fear," he said, "I did not know what it was we were looking at and had some concern that it might or could have spotted us." After driving the short distance to their house, they went to a second floor bedroom and looked out the window to the northwest where they continued to watch the object. It descended lower toward the ground and seemed to be settling in a nearby field where its color had shifted from a white to an orange. As the object got lower and lower to the ground, it became bigger and its color changed to a reddish light.

He said that the size of the object increased from a pea at arms length to a dime at arms length, stressing that its size, from his perspective, was "not quite as drastic as a nickel at arms length." "There was like a vacuum of silence while we watched this," Dr. ((name deleted)) said, "it was like everything was real quiet, at a standstill and then when it became a red color, everything went crazy." Dr. ((name deleted)) said that animals in the area suddenly erupted in a frenzy. His neighbors dog was barking crazily and his German Shepherd dog tried to break its chain.

From his perspective, the object descended to the ground but was not certain that it touched or made contact with the ground as trees prevented him from seeing this with certainty.

"At that point, after this object got red, it just "shot off" like a dart, some kind of acceleration and it just took off to the west. We just stood there dumbfounded." He said the sighting lasted for an estimated 10 to 15 minute duration.

"I was very reluctant to call the police about a UFO sighting," he said, "at that point, we were not going to report this." "Right after that my 2-sons went back outside and heard the screaming. It was a female voice. They got in the car and within minutes had called from their cell phone to say that they had been hearing screaming sounds in the field where this thing came down," he said.

"Approximately 20-minutes after the UFO sighting the police were at my door, there were about 20 officers and a rescue squad over in the field where I spotted the UFO. They were combing the area and had asked me what I knew about someone screaming." "Apparently, others had heard the screaming sounds." I asked Dr. ((name deleted)) if he could explain what was heard and he emphasized that he did not hear the screaming sounds himself, that his 2 sons heard the disturbing commotion, along with other residents in the area that notified law enforcement.

Dr. ((name deleted)) paused from our conversation to check with one of his sons, asking if he could recount the nature of the screaming sounds. He said it was a desperate, blood curdling scream of a female voice that kept saying: "Help me, oh my God, help me!" "Apparently several people had heard the screaming, I don't know how long it lasted," he said.

When the police arrived at his doorstep knocking on his door (an estimated 15 minutes after the UFO departed), Dr. ((name deleted)) volunteered information about the UFO sighting.

"I took the officer to the side and explained to him that this is going to sound crazy, but I need to tell you what I saw tonight." "I told the police about the UFO after they came to the door, I don't know if anyone else saw the UFO but the officer taking my report took me seriously. He didn't write anything down while I talked with him," Dr. ((name deleted)) said.

When asked if the police officer indicated that anyone else had also witnessed the UFO, Dr. ((deleted)) said that the police officer said he had seen a UFO also, but was uncertain if he was referring to the same object or a separate, unrelated sighting.

Dr. ((name deleted)) said that aside from reporting this to the police officer who knocked on his door, he had not reported this sighting to any other person and that he was not the source for the report which was submitted to The National UFO Reporting Center. He was puzzled how the report made it to NUFORC and said that neither he, nor his sons, reported the sighting to anyone.

"I'm still trying to figure out who reported this," Dr. ((name deleted)) said after our conversation. He went on to say how he got "freaked out" when the cops came to the door asking about the screaming sounds.

He described the area of his residence as isolated and surrounded by fields and woodland. His road is paved. He emphasized that the screaming sounds came from the immediate area where the unidentified object had came to the ground. "The screaming sounds came from the field, and I have no explanation for it." Dr. ((name deleted)), who teaches ((deleted)) for the ((deleted)), also said that he had previously seen a UFO when he was in his Freshman year in college at ((deleted)) in 1976. He said the object was similar to what he saw on Friday, November 21, 2003.

COMMENT I am deeply impressed by Dr. ((deleted)) and his efforts to remain objective and rationalize various explanations about the sighting. Based on his observation, the object in question is nothing to do with Aurora Borealis or 'northern lights.' Dr. ((deleted)) allowed permission to use his name and employment in this report, having no objection to it attached with the UFO sighting and situation involving a search party near his home.

Information furnished by Dr. ((deleted)) sheds new light on this case. Comments from him directly contradict the dismissive approach taken by law officers in remarks made during earlier inquiries (who also incorrectly advised that the event was on Sunday, November 23) regarding a UFO situation that corresponds with the screams.

When informed that a Morehead policeman and a fire rescue officer told me that "someone had seen the northern lights," Dr. ((name deleted)) scoffed at the suggestion and was in disbelief.

"I can't believe they said that, this was definitely not the northern lights." He said that tomorrow he will inspect the 50-acre field where the object descended.

The report to N.U.F.O.R.C. suggests that the UFO was also sighted by witnesses with the rescue squad responding to the scene. This might suggest that the screaming sound was heard simultaneous to the visual sighting of the UFO. Peter Davenport of N.U.F.O.R.C. states: "The person who submitted the sighting report for Morehead, KY, provided no personal or contact information, to include no e-address. It "reads" as if it was submitted by a member of the team that was dispatched, i.e. it reads as if someone just copied a written record of the dispatch. I would have responded to the report, save for the absence of any means of contacting the source." That report states: "Morehead-Rowan Co. Rescue Sq.had a call from MPD of a female crying for help x3. From 2 witness then there was a bright light in the sky for about 1 min. RESCUE SQ.arrived on scene and started searching the area 1st & 2nd witness reported seeing this .The fire dept.was ask to begin searching with the thermal imaging camera with no results found. Res. of Morehead was one of the witnesses. Unless there is a confirmed report of a missing person, the search will not be continued." The report of desperate, blood curdling screams from a woman crying "Help me, Oh God, Help me" mar this case with a disturbing sense of unusual dread. Clearly, there was a problem taking place and this report raises the specter of reported UFO/human abduction or interaction.

Morehead, Kentucky is an estimated 45-miles south of Flemingsburg, Kentucky, where a crop formation appeared in a Rye Field in the spring of this year. A flap of crop formations and UFO sightings also bewildered Southern Ohio in the summer of 2003, and during this flap one strange account of a woman found in a Southern Ohio soybean field is under investigative consideration. There is no certainty that this situation can be linked to the UFO or crop circle flap aside from the chronological and regional closeness, but the woman - who was hospitalized for a week after being found by a farmer - reportedly experienced amnesia and did not know how she got in the field. This matter is also held under close consideration by researcher Donnie Blessing and will be pursued further.

This present case of 'screaming sounds' from a female voice is linked firmly to the UFO sighting as per the same location in one specific field near Adams Lane in Morehead, Kentucky and the '20 minute time frame' of the conclusion of the UFO sighting to the arrival of officers involved in the search and rescue operation.

Special thanks to Donnie Blessing, Peter Davenport Filed, November 30, 2003 KENNY YOUNG -- UFO Research