Report Indexes : by Event Date  by Location  by Shape  by Posting Date

National UFO Reporting Center Sighting Report
Occurred : 7/7/1973 18:00 (Entered as : 07/07/1973 18:00)
Reported: 9/12/2005 6:55:20 PM 18:55
Posted: 9/15/2005
Location: Odessa, TX
Shape: Disk
Duration: 1 hour
Characteristics: There were electrical or magnetic effects
Confirmation of Odessa, TX sighting in 1973

I am filing this report in confirmation of the same sighting reported by my husband, ((name deleted)).

We lived west of Odessa, TX at the time. My husband's grandmother (now deceased) called and asked to speak to Stanley. She said she wanted him to go outside and look at the UFO she had been watching that looked like it was close to our area. After talking to her we went outside and looked to our west. There was a huge, building size, silver, saucer shaped object with what looked like an upside down cereal bowl on top of it hovering in the sky about a mile from our house. We had been outside just a few minutes when my brother-in-law, Jim (now deceased)and my sister-in-law, Georgia, screeched their car into our driveway to ask us if we had seen "it". We all looked at it for a few minutes and then Stanley and Jim decided to ride down the road and see if they could get close enough to tell anything about it. Georgia and I just sat there and watched it. It didn't move at all. it just appeared to be sitting over a radio tower. When Stanley and Jim came back to the house about 30 minutes later they told us that they stopped at the entrance to the dirt road leading to the radio tower because they were afraid if they went closer they might get picked up and taken on a ride they didn't want to take. We got the radio and tried to listen to the news and see if anyone else was reporting this or watching it. We finally found an announcer on KBZB radio station that was talking about all the static they were having on their radio transmission and how they were sending a trechnician out to the tower that was having trouble to see what as wrong. Stanley called the station and was asking where their tower was. The disc jockey was talking to him on the air and we could hear the whole conversation on the air while we were outside still watching the saucer. The disc jockey confirmed it was their tower where the saucer was. Stanley hung up and came back outside to watch. Almost an hour after we started watching it the saucer began to move toward the North. It made a turn that was a 90 degree angle and slowly moved off until it was gone. No flashing speed, just slowly drifting away. The radio station had stopped broadcasting anything about it so Stanley called the disc jockey back and asked him why did they stop telling about it, what happened? The disc jockey told him that their technician got to the tower and when he saw the size of the saucer over the tower he went into shock and left. He said they had to take him to the emergency room and get him medicated to calm him down. The disc jockey also told Stanley that he had been contacted by someone claiming to be with the federal government who told him if he didn't want the radio station to lose it's license and be shut down he better quit talking about what happened. He said he was told "Just be Quiet about it". But we were all there, and saw it happen before sundown on a bright, summer night. I had never seen anything like it, and don't know what it was for sure, but I know it was really there.

((NUFORC Note: Witness indicates that the date of the sighting event is approximate. PD))